Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Apple wants you to think you're missing something

Apple's latest TV spots are a continuation on "if you don't have an iPhone then you don't have an iPhone." This time however they would like you to believe that Facetime and Airplay are two features you can't live without or even find replacements for.

Facetime is the service embedded in iOS devices that allow you to video call with another Facetime user. I was very excited about this when I first saw it but then the luster quickly went away when I felt the constraints of being tied to WiFi to use the service.

Fortunately a friend of mine pointed out Tango. Tango is a similar service that not only lets you make video calls on cellular data but it's also available on multiple platforms. Now I can make video calls from my iPhone to my Android friends. The service works so well that I prefer it over Facetime on iPhone to iPhone calls.




The Airplay ad showcases streaming music to your stereo and video to your TV. It's not until the very end that you see the fine print that both WiFi and Airplay enabled devices are required in addition to your iPhone to utilize this feature.

Both Blackberry and Android users have products and apps available to them to stream content as well. Most Android devices include a mini-HDMI out port on them that allows you to not only stream HD video to your TV but gives you the ability to play games on a bigger screen as well. I also have a small BlueTooth adapter that allows me  to stream audio to any stereo that has a 3.5mm input port, no WiFi required. I can also easily hook my Android up to friend's TV or stereo, I don't think it would be practical to do the same with Airplay.

I have both Android and iPhone so I don't want to sound like I'm just dogging Apple. I think the iPhone is a great piece of hardware but I really prefer the openess of Android. Unfortunately the only thing Apple's willing to be open about is their arrogance.

It's not that these features are sub-par, by no means is that what I'm trying to point out. What I can't stand is this elitist attitude around Apple products. Of course if you don't have an iPhone, you don't have an iPhone! Come on Apple, tone down your ads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

TechCrunch